What could the politicians and “talking heads” learn by observing a Positive Discipline Class Meeting or a Positive Discipline Family Meeting?
- To be respectful?
- To take turns talking instead of interrupting each other. (Maybe they could even start using a talking stick to know whose turn it is.)
- To stop the name-calling, taking things out of context, slanting comments to fit their point of view.
- To listen and validate another point of view. (Validating does not mean agreeing.)
- To stop focusing on being right and making each other wrong.
- To brainstorm for solutions and choose those that are respectful to everyone.
- To develop social interest (concern for the needs of everyone) instead of power to push personal agendas.